Sunday, December 21, 2008

Scale Modelling

I know what some of you are thinking, when the word Modelling pops up you automatically assume it has something to do with Tyra Bank's hit show. Well think again, this is what I meant by SCALE modelling:




A scale model of an F-14B Tomcat, VF-103 'Jolly Rogers'


Apparently this is a hobby not many people here are familiar with:

*****: don't you have any hobbies, anything to do for fun?
Me: yeah, I make models
*****: ohh dats great man, brunei cud use more local models!

Firstly, model making has NOTHING TO DO WITH America's Next Top Model.

It's a hobby in which we create scale replicas of real life/fictional objects either from scratch (anyone in the architecture business knows what I'm talking about) or from commercially available Model Kits:

Some of my unfinished Model Kits

Model making to me, is a challenging hobby in a sense that it takes up time, concentration, creativity and inginuity. One spends time concentrating on prefect construction methods and improvising solutions to problems like poorly fitting parts, damaged details and so on. I'm no professional in this hobby and I'm still learning new skills to improve my model making, but with the completion of every project, I can still feel a sense of satisfaction in seeing the finished product. The hours of construction, fine-tuning and painting the model all pays off when the modeller reviews his creation.




An Italeri F-100 Super Sabre of the French Air Force: my first weathering attempt (watercolour wash, light drybrushing and pastels). Other modellers may note the clouding on the canopy, caused by cyanoacrylate (super glue). Paints used were a mixture of Tamiya Enamels and Gunze-Sangyo Acrylics.


That photo was taken a few years back, and due to my schooling commitments I haven't been able to do justice to this hobby. So, after a two year hiatus I'm picking up the glue and brush again, re-learning old skills and trying to apply new techniques I picked up online.


I'll post some pics of my new project, a PLAAF (Chinese Air Force) Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker when I've made significant progress on it.


Until then, good bye.

No comments: